Even though Ryze Tello is an impressive mini drone from DJI, users need to update its firmware and calibrate IMU to unlock new features and fix bugs. The firmware is the software that is responsible for managing operation insides. The IMU combines inertial sensors gyroscopes and accelerometers to provide acceleration and orientation data that can be used to calculate position and velocity. So if the firmware is outdated or glitched or IMU is miscalibrated your Ryze Tello might malfunction and will be unsafe.
That’s why you need to keep the Ryze Tello’s firmware up to date and calibrate its IMU. DJI often releases Ryze Tello firmware updates for the Ryze Tello. So it’s better to update Ryze Tello firmware to the latest as soon as possible. In this article let’s see how you can update Ryze Tello firmware and how to calibrate Ryze Tello’s IMU step by step.
How to Update Ryze Tello Firmware.
Before Updating Ryze Tello Firmware.
- Charge the Ryze Tello battery above 50% or fully before updating its firmware.
- Don’t power off the Ryze Tello drone while updating firmware.
- Download and install the latest Tello app from the DJI Download Center to your android or ios device. If you have already installed a Tello app check whether it’s the latest one.
Steps to Update Ryze Tello Firmware.
The above checklist is so important to succeed in the firmware update process. Once the above checklist is checked, it’s time to update the Ryze Tello’s firmware.
- Power on the Ryze Tello drone.
- Then go to the Wifi devices of your smartphone and wait until the Ryze Tello wifi connection pops.
- Once the Ryze Tello Wifi Connection pops click on it and connects it.
- Then open the Ryze Tello app. When you are opening the app would notify you a new firmware update is available.
- If the Tello app doesn’t prompt an “update firmware” message when launching the Tello app, click on the three dots in the top left corner and click on the update button in the firmware version section.
- Select “Download” to download the firmware. If you are using Wifi to download you need to disconnect from the Ryze Tello and download it. If you are using mobile data to download the firmware you can download the firmware without disconnecting from the drone.
- Once the firmware is completely downloaded, click update to update the Ryze Tello’s firmware. The Ryze Tello’s indicator will start to blink red.
- When the firmware updating process is completed, Ryze Tello would reboot automatically. Sometimes you might have to restart the drone manually. If you need to restart the drone manually, the Tello app would notify you to restart the app. Don’t restart the Ryze Tello mid of the updating process it would fail the firmware updating process.
- Then connect to the Ryze Tello again and check whether the firmware is on the latest firmware.
The below video would demonstrate all the steps we talked about above regarding Tello Firmware Update.
How to update Ryze Tello IMU (Inertial Measurement Unit).
When Should You Calibrate Ryze Tello IMU?
- If you just unboxed the Ryze Tello you need to calibrate the IMU before the first flight.
- When the IMU Error appears in the Tello app.
- If your Ryze Tello crashed recently, you might need to calibrate the IMU.
Before Calibrating Ryze Tello IMU.
- Charge the Ryze Tello battery above 50% or fully before calibrating IMU.
- Remove the propellers and ready the drone to calibrate.
Steps to Calibrate Ryze Tello IMU.
- Place the Tello on a flat surface and power on the Tello.
- Then launch the Tello app on your smartphone and connect to the Tello drone.
- Tap on the “IMU Error” prompt to start the IMU calibration process. If the app doesn’t prompt “IMU Error” but you need to calibrate the IMU, tap on the three dot’s in the top left corner and open the more menu. Then click on calibrate button in the IMU section.
- Then hit enter.
- Then you will be directed to place the Tello in six positions to calibrate IMU. All the instructions are demonstrations will be displayed on the Tello app.
- Start with the Tello on its belly and wait until the Tello app drone model turns onto its right side.
- Next, place the Tello onto its right side and wait until the Tello app drone model turns onto its left side.
- Then Change the Tello over to the left side and wait until the Tello app drone model stands its nose pointing downwards.
- Then Stand the Tello nose pointing downwards and wait until the Tello app drone model changes its position to nose pointing upwards.
- Then Stand the Tello nose pointing upwards and wait until the Tello app drone model turns upside down.
- When IMU calibration is completed, the “restart the aircraft” notification would be shown.
- So restart the Tello drone and you have done IMU calibration successfully.
The below video would demonstrate all the steps we talked about above regarding IMU calibration.